Thursday, May 31, 2012

Gardening for beginners

I started to become interested in gardening when I moved in with my boyfriend in 2009, mainly because I moved into a house with no grass or curb appeal. The first spring that I started planting, I picked out whatever plant or flower looked the prettiest at Lowe's which was a huge mistake. Let's just say those plants lived a short and noble life. Since then I've learned a thing or two from my mom, who is a Master Gardener. These are the rules I go by when choosing plants:

  1. Look at the sunlight requirements. Since I live in Texas, I can't buy anything that can't stand full sun.
  2. Look at the water requirements. Again, since I live in Texas, I can't buy anything that needs to have moist soil. I need plants that are drought tolerant, or that like dry soil.
  3. Once you've chosen the plant, choose good soil. I buy Miracle Grow potting mix for plants are going in a pot. If I plan on putting the plant in the ground, I make sure to fertilize the area well before and after planting. Don't over fertilize though you can fry the roots, just do what the package recommends.
I strive to make my garden unique and stand out from others. One way I've accomplished this, is by hanging pots. 







Silver Pony Foot


Here's how I did it:
  • I bought the hooks that you drill into the fence from HangAPot.com. You can choose the color of the hook you want (mine are brown), and it takes 2 seconds to drill it into the fence post.
  • I bought the pots on the cheap from Michael's, as well as the terra cotta paint. Each pot just has 2 coats of paint.
  • I have the pots hanging on my 2 side fences in the backyard, one side has a pot on every other post, and the other side has a pot on every third post.
This is a unique, cheap, and easy way to add some character to your backyard.

Here are some shots of other plants I have:
Silver Pony Foot

Texas Sage


Mushroom intruders
Rainbow Chard

Sweet Potato Vine




Happy Planting!
Baby strawberry that I'm about to eat

3 comments:

  1. Great guidelines lex! Plants are looking really good. I like the way you painted the terra cotta pots - very nice touch. I can't wait to teach you propagation by cuttings - your plants will multiply and you'll be able to share with your friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really cute! Think I'll do the same with the hanging pots in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy! It's super easy and super cute!

      Delete