Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Orange Chicken

So sorry for the lack of posts lately, other things have taken the spotlight and I've put this blog on the back burner. But not to worry, I am going to make a conscious effort to make this blog a top priority, so enjoy this awesome recipe post.

I love ordering Chinese food but it's also so unhealthy I feel horrible immediately after eating it. I decided to try to make a healthy version at home and this came out great. For the orange sauce, I used this recipe, but I didn't want to fry the chicken so I used this recipe for the chicken. 

Ingredients: soy sauce, orange juice, rice vinegar, panko, olive oil spray, green onions, corn starch, oranges, ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, chicken, and brown rice.

For the sauce combine a little soy sauce, rice vinegar, orange juice, orange zest, ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Hint: instead of grating the ginger, I just threw a chunk of ginger in the pot and took it out when the sauce was done cooking.

Cube the chicken, then dip in the following order: corn starch, egg, and lastly panko.


Place the breaded chicken on a cooking sheet, spray with cooking spray and put in the oven. 


While the chicken and sauce are cooking, make the brown rice according to the package directions. I threw a green onion in the mix for some flavor.

After the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened, mix the 2 together along with chopped green onions in a large bowl.

Put some brown rice in a bowl, then pour the orange chicken on top.


Also, this is my last post using my crappy iPhone camera, the next post will include pictures taken from my new fancy camera I got for my birthday.

Lexi

1 comment:

  1. Yum. Can't wait to make this. To make it gluten free, (thanks for the corn starch) wonderin' what is the best substitute for panko bread crumbs. I could make my own with GF bagels or use cornmeal. But that sounds kinds goofy. Thanks for sharing. Love the new camera.

    ReplyDelete